The Women in the Academy Conference at Baylor University would like to invite regional scholars and graduate students to participate in this year’s conference, scheduled for Saturday, April 7, 2018. The conference committee is accepting proposals for professional development workshops. The workshops’ goals are to help graduate students prepare for professional roles within and outside higher education.
The committee invites workshop proposals that engage the upcoming conference’s theme, Navigating the Journey to Success. Possible topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cultivating professional identity (online presence, communication styles, body language)
- Crafting a balanced life
- Encouraging diversity
- Understanding the tenure-track process and professional advancement
- Exploring the unique dynamics of academic life for minority populations
- Advocating for oneself and others
- Succeeding in STEM fields
- Networking and negotiating
- Fostering stewardship in careers and callings
Graduate students, faculty, and administrators from across the region are encouraged to apply. Workshops are allowed one lead presenter and up to two co-presenters. All proposals are expected to be interactive. For your benefit, each room is equipped with a computer, internet access, and a projector.
Proposals are due Tuesday, January 16, 2018. In order to apply, please click here to fill out the electronic form with the names of each presenter and a 300—500 word description of the workshop. Each presenter will need to attach a resume or CV. Accepted presenters will be notified by February 15, 2018. The registration fee for the conference is waived for all presenters.
Proposals will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Quality and clarity of proposal content
- Relationship of presentation to conference theme
- Broad appeal of topic chosen
- Relevance to graduate student and young professional audience
- Value to conference participants
For further conference details, please visit the Women in the Academy website: http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/currentstudents/index.php?id=98896
If you have any questions, feel free to email Elise_Leal@baylor.edu.
Women in the Academy Conference Planning Council