American Academy of Religion Southwest Region:
Welcome to the official website of the American Academy of Religion Southwest Region. The American Academy of Religion is an academic community that serves two primary goals for students, teachers, and scholars of religion: “(1) To promote understanding of and critical reflection on religious traditions, issues, questions, values, texts, practices, and institutions. To this end, we foster communication and exchange among teachers and scholars, and the public understanding of religion. (2) To serve the professional interests of members as students, teachers, and scholars.”
As a regional extension of the American Academy Religion, we are committed to supported the study of religion in the Southwestern United States through the following four services:
Regional News: Fostering Collaboration Across the Region
- Global Religion Research Initiative Funding Opportunities
- CFP: "Of God and Monsters" - Nov 1 Deadline (TSU at San Marcos, TX)
- CFP: Contemporary Icons of Nonviolence in the Cultural and Religious Context
- BRAIS-De Grutyer Prize in Islamic Studies (Oct 1 deadline)
- CFP: Africa Conference (UT Austin)
- Call for Articles: Journal of Early Modern Christianity
- CFP: Christianity and Social Activism in Chinese Societies
- Publication Opportunity: Islam and the Category of "Religion"
- CFP: Sacred Troubling Topics in Hebrew Bible, New Testament, and Qur’an
- ACLS Scholars & Society Research Fellowships
Have news you want to share with the region? Have your events and opportunities shared with the region by contacting our Multimedia Coordinator.
AAR National News: